On June 11, the Federal Court issued “Practice Direction and Order (COVID-19): Update #4 (June 11, 2020)”. The Practice Direction portion has been archived on the JRILN blog. Some of the key points are as follows:
Atlantic and Western Canada
To provide parties and their legal counsel with an opportunity to prepare for hearings after the expiry of the Suspension Period:
- A. The Court will not hold hearings in those provinces before Monday, July 13, 2020; and
- B. Timelines for the filing of documents and the taking of other procedural steps in proceedings in those provinces will be extended to June 29, 2020.
- C. For greater certainty, the provisions of this paragraph do not apply to proceedings that are, or will be, moving forward pursuant to one of the five exceptions described in paragraph 5 of the April 29th practice direction.
Subject to the five exceptions described in paragraph 5 of the April 29th practice direction:
- A. The Suspension Period in Ontario, Quebec and the three territories will be extended until June 29, 2020;
- B. All hearings that had previously been scheduled to take place from July 11 to July 26, 2020 in those regions of the country are adjourned sine die, and all General Sittings in that period are cancelled.